I’m always experimenting with fun new ingredients in the kitchen, especially when it comes to plant-based recipes. And let me tell you, jackfruit burger has blown my mind lately!
In case you’re unfamiliar, jackfruit is a huge tropical fruit that’s used in a bunch of Southeast Asian cuisines especially in countries like Bangladesh, where it is the national fruit.. But here’s the crazy part – unripe green jackfruit can be shredded into stringy, meaty pieces that mimic pulled pork or ground beef uncannily well. I’m not kidding, the texture is shockingly similar when you get the prep right.
My vegetarian sister actually made me jackfruit tacos once without telling me, and I was convinced it was actual shredded pork! That’s when I knew I had to try crafting some jackfruit burgers myself to see if they could also fool diehard meat lovers. Spoiler alert: they can and they will.
These burgers are so insanely hearty and delicious that each vegans and carnivores gobble them up. I had to share the easy step-by-step approach so you can make these taste-packed jackfruit burgers on your own kitchen. Trust me, they’ll become your new favorite plant-based meal!
Table of Contents
Below I’ll cover everything you need to know, from ingredients and prep to seasoning and cooking these bad boys to perfection. Grab an apron and let’s get prepared to make a few magic take place!
Ingredients You’ll Need Craft Jackfruit Burger!
Here’s what you’ll need to make 4-6 hearty jackfruit burgers:
- 2 cans (20oz each) of unripe young green jackfruit – Make sure it’s packed in water or brine, NOT syrup. We want the kind used in savory dishes, not the sweet ripe jackfruit.
- 1 small white or yellow onion – You’ll need about 1/2 cup finely diced. I prefer white onions but any will work.
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced – I like to use extra because YUM, but 2 cloves will flavor it nicely.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – For sautéing the onions and jackfruit.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari – Adds flavor and saltiness. Use tamari to make it gluten free!
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke – This gives it that charred, grill-like taste.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder – For a bit of heat and smokiness.
- 1 teaspoon paprika – Boosts the rich meaty flavor.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – Extra garlicky goodness never hurts.
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper – For balanced seasoning.
- 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seeds – This magical ingredient helps bind the burgers together once activated by water.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs – Any variety works. I like Italian style. Helps soak up moisture and texture.
- Burger buns – Go crazy with brioche, pretzel, potato rolls, lettuce wraps, etc.
- Desired toppings – Cheese, condiments, lettuce, tomato, pickles – load em up!
That covers all the ingredients you’ll need for the flavorful filling and assembly. Now let’s get cookin’!
Prepare the Jackfruit
- Drain and rinse one 20oz can of jackfruit to remove the briny liquid. Repeat with the other can.
- Shred the jackfruit by hand, pulling and breaking it into stringy threads that resemble pulled meat or pork shoulder. Discard any unshreddable cores.
- Finely dice 1 small onion until you have around 1/2 cup. Mince 2 large cloves of garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded jackfruit with the onion, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and all of the spices until thoroughly combined. This is your flavor base!
Make the Flax Egg Binder
- In a small bowl, stir together 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds with three-four tablespoons of heat water.
- Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes, until it forms a thick, goopy gel-like texture. This flax “egg” will act as a natural plant-based binder.
Form the Patties
- Add the flax egg and 1 cup breadcrumbs to the bowl of seasoned jackfruit.
- Use your hands to mix everything together until fully incorporated. The breadcrumbs will soak up moisture and add texture.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 evenly shaped patties about 1/2-inch thick, handling firmly so they bind together well and hold their burger shape.
Cook Your Burgers!
Now it’s time for the fun part – cooking up these meatless beauties! You can either:
- Pan fry them in a skillet with oil for 3-4 minutes per side until nicely browned.
- Bake at 400°F on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, gently flipping halfway through.
- Grill them on an oiled outdoor grill for 4-5 minutes per side with the lid closed. Watch closely to avoid burning.
Cook until they develop a nice outer crust but stay moist inside. Be careful not to overcook or they’ll dry out.
Assemble Those Babies
Your jackfruit patties are ready to be turned into epic vegan burgers:
- Toast your burger buns or cut in half. Spread condiments like ketchup, mustard, or vegan mayo on both halves.
- Top the bottom bun with lettuce, tomato, onion slices, pickles – whatever you love!
- Add your cooked jackfruit patty, then finish it off with the bun top.
Now you’re ready to chomp down on the most incredible jackfruit burger of your life. You probably won’t even believe it’s 100% plant-based!
Feel free to get creative with toppings and buns:
- Try pretzel buns, Hawaiian rolls, or lettuce wraps for low-carb
- Add unique condiments like chipotle mayo, guacamole, and chimichurri sauce
- Serve with sweet potato fries or onion rings for the perfect pairings
- Use leftovers on pizza, in tacos, on nachos – jackfruit is endlessly versatile!
No matter how you enjoy them, these jackfruit burgers will knock your socks off. So meaty, so delicious!
Extra Tips and Hacks
- Make extra patties and freeze them for quick plant-based meals anytime. Thaw before cooking.
- For an even more shredded “meat” texture, pulse jackfruit in a food processor after shredding.
- Customize flavors based on your tastes – add roasted green chilies, jalapeños, sriracha, cumin, etc.
- For gluten-free, substitute almond or chickpea flour instead of breadcrumbs.
Get creative with different seasonings and serving methods until you create your dream jackfruit burger. You really can’t go wrong!
I hope this comprehensive guide helps you whip up the most sensational plant-based jackfruit burgers ever. Let me know if you have any other tips or favorite variations. I could talk jackfruit for days! Now get cooking and savor these meatless masterpieces.